Editor's Notes at EditorsNotes.com

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Judy in Jail?


E&P:

Judith Miller, the embattled foreign correspondent for
The New York Times, seems ready to go to jail rather than testify before a grand jury trying to find out who leaked the name of a CIA operative to several Washington, D.C,. reporters.

"I can't tell you what I am going to do yet," Miller said in an upbeat voice during the first of two cell phone interviews. But later, when told that Lucy Dalglish, executive director of The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, seemed sure that she would stonewall prosecutors, Miller elaborated a little.

"What I know of Judith Miller, there is no way in hell that she will be willing to testify," Dalglish had told E&P. When that quote was read to Miller, she laughed and said: "I think that's right, and it's what my lawyer would say, too."

She may do some pretty bad reporting, but she's a bad reporter with standards. Judy, we salute you.